It’s September and the school holidays are finished, August bank holiday is over and it’s time to go back to work but there are still things to look forward to if you are a Dylan Thomas fan. Below is a list up upcoming events you can enjoy in the next few months.
A Child’s Christmas in Wales
Ballet Cymru: A Child’s Christmas. Poems & Tiger Eggs
Ballet Cymru presents Dylan Thomas’s classic A Child’s Christmas In Wales with music by Mason Neely and Cerys Matthews. Featuring choreography by Darius James and Amy Doughty.
- Friday 12th October at Theatr Brycheiniog, Brecon
- Thursday 18th October at Guildhall Arts Centre, Grantham
- Saturday 20th October at Mumford Theatre, Cambridge
- Monday 22nd October at Pavilions, Teignmouth
- Saturday 3rd November & Sunday 4th November at Lilian Baylis Studio, London
- Thursday 9th November & Friday 10th November at The Riverfront, Newport
- Sunday 18th November at Cast, Doncaster
- Thursday 22nd November at Salisbury Arts Centre, Salisbury
- Friday 23rd November & Saturday 24th November at Brewhouse Theatre, Taunton
- Thursday 29th November at Burton Theatre, Leeds
- Saturday 1st December at Pontio, Bangor
- Tuesday 4th December at The Cotswold Playhouse, Stroud
- Tuesday 11th December at Arts Centre, Aberystwyth
A Child’s Christmas in Wales, Swansea
Fluellen Theatre Company perform their celebrated adaptation of Dylan Thomas’ magical A Child’s Christmas In Wales, with Delyth Jenkins on harp.
- Tuesday 14th December at The Dylan Thomas Centre, Swansea
A Child’s Christmas in Wales, Orpheus Choir of Toronto
Orpheus Choir of Toronto present Welcome Christmas! A Child’s Christmas in Wales narrated by Geraint Wyn-Davies.
- Tuesday 18th December at Eglinton St. George’s United Church, Toronto
Under Milk Wood
Under Milk Wood in Turlock, CA, USA
Stanislaus State Theatre Department production of Under Milk Wood.
- Thursday 4th October – Sunday 7th October and Thursday 11th October – Sunday 14th October at CSU Stanislaus Studio Theatre, Turlock.
Under Milk Wood in Wellington, New Zealand
Join Circa Theatre for Dylan Thomas’ masterpiece Under Milk Wood, a delightful if peculiar story of the daily life in “Llareggub” (read it backwards), a small Welsh town by the sea.
- Saturday 13th October – Saturday 10th November at Circa Theatre, Wellington.
Guy Masterson: Under Milk Wood
Celebrating a day in the life of ‘Llareggub’ – a small seatown somewhere in Wales – Guy Masterson plays all 69 inhabitants in Dylan Thomas’ Under Milk Wood.
- Wednesday 17th October at The Woodville, Gravesend
Under Milk Wood in New Mexico, USA
Directed by Joe Feldman. In lyrical, soaring and earthy prose, verse, and song, the most controversial poet of the mid-century stages a twenty-hour midnight pub crawl of a Welsh fishing village exposing the victorious and the venal among the denizens of a provincial Welsh fishing village.
- Thursday 18th October – Saturday 10th November at North Fourth Art Center, Albuquerque, New Mexico
Under Milk Wood in Newcastle upon Tyne
Directed by Elayce Ismail. Northern Stage’s Under Milk Wood is a contemporary, technological twist on a classic text. Musically mournful, Dylan’s ‘play for voices’ is an enfolding and haunting experience. Bawdy, tragic, sly, odd and lyrical, it is a glimpse of Wales and a golden era that may never have existed.
- Friday 2nd November – Saturday 17th November at Stage 2, Northern Stage, Newcastle
Under Milk Wood in Washington, USA
Ind Theatre present Dylan Thomas’s play for voices. Both a play and a poem, written from the heart, Under Milk Wood offers an unforgettable journey into the roots of language and the soul of Wales.
- Thursday 8th November to Sunday 11th November at Bainbridge Island Museum of Art
Under Milk Wood and A Child’s Christmas in Wales in St Albans
Herts Jazz present Under Milk Wood & A Child’s Christmas in Wales. Further information to be confirmed.
- Tuesday 18th December at Maltings Arts Theatre, St Albans
Other Dylan Thomas Events in Autumn
Peter Wawerzinek Reflects on Dylan Thomas
For his novel »Ich – Dylan – Ich« [I Dylan I], Peter Wawerzinek took several trips to Wales, where he located and described the landscapes and places of Dylan Thomas’s life. He reflects on the unique poet in a reading followed by a discussion.
- Tuesday 11th September at the Internationales LiteraturFestival, Berlin
Nicky Wire Art Exhibition
Paintings and Polaroids: The first solo exhibition of art by Nicky Wire of Manic Street Preachers. The exhibition will include images of Wire’s influences and heroes including Dylan Thomas, David Bowie, Philip Larkin, John Uzzell Edwards, Marilyn Monroe, Lou Reed, Iggy Pop and Vivian Maier.
- Saturday 15th September – Sunday 21st October at Tenby Museum, Tenby
Dylan Thomas at 104
A tribute to the work of the poet and playwright Dylan Thomas. Eight of Studio Theatre’s most experienced actors tell the story of the life of Dylan Thomas as seen through the eyes of friends, family and critics. Liberally interspersed with extracts from his well-loved writing.
- Friday 21st September at St Anne’s Arts & Community Centre, Barnstaple
Celebrating Daniel Jones
Swansea International Festival, Lighthouse Theatre, the Jubilee String Quartet, and Robert Marshall’s Awelan Ensemble present a celebration of the life and work of Swansea composer Daniel Jones, the Swansea composer and friend of Dylan Thomas.
- Sunday 23rd September at The Hyst, Swansea
Guy Masterson: Fern Hill and other Dylan Thomas
Guy’s one man show includes three of Thomas’ wonderful short stories; ‘A Visit To Grandpa’s’, ‘Holiday Memory’ and, ‘A Christmas Story’ (more popularly known as ‘A Child’s Christmas In Wales’), plus a selection of his greatest verse including ‘Fern Hill’, ‘Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night’ and ‘Death Shall Have No Dominion’.
- Saturday 16th October at Island Arts Centre, Lisburn
Dylan Thomas Felting Workshop
Dylan Thomas Tribute Felted Refillable Notebook Workshop by Ffibrau Y Gwyr.
This 3 night workshop combines felting with hand embroidery to create a beautiful hand bound notebook in tribute to the words of Dylan Thomas.
- Thursday 25th October, Wednesday 7th November and Friday 9th November at Clyne Farm, Swansea
Wild Words – Dylan and Igor
Join Wild Words in their new family show that fuses the artistry of Dylan Thomas and Igor Stravinsky through the musicianship of Tim Hill (saxophones), Martin Solomon (strings and saw) and story-yeller/ storywriter Michael Loader (also horns).
Recommended age: 6+
- Wednesday 31st October at St George’s, Bristol
The Dylan Thomas Weekend, Laugharne
The chance for true fans to find out precious details about Dylan Thomas and see one of his favourite places. The Dylan Thomas Weekend is being hosted by The Boat House b&b in Laugharne and is set to be light-hearted and insightful.
Kick-off is on Friday afternoon 2nd November with a guided tour of Laugharne by Jon Tregenna, a writer who lives locally and can give you the inside track on a host of famous (and infamous) venues in the historic township.
Saturday afternoon 3rd November we’re delighted to feature a talk by Trefor Ellis, widower of Aeronwy and son-in-law of Dylan. Trefor is a natural story teller and has plenty of great anecdotes about joining the Thomas family and the people it has led him to meet over the years.
Bed and breakfast accommodation is included both days and we expect a memorable weekend with the chance to chat to interesting people.
- Friday 2nd and Saturday 3rd November at The Boat House b&b in Laugharne.
Guided Tour: Dylan’s Swansea
Fluellen Theatre Co.’s performance-based guided tour of Dylan’s central Swansea starts from the Dylan Thomas Centre and includes Dylan Thomas Square, The Three Lamps, Castle Square, and the site of the Kardomah. The tour ends at the No Sign Wine Bar.
- Sunday 4th November at The Dylan Thomas Centre, Swansea
Annual Wreath-Laying Service
This annual event is arranged by the family of Dylan Thomas and the Dylan Thomas Society.
If you would like to attend please contact the Dylan Thomas Society of Great Britain or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Saturday 17th November at Westminster Abbey, London
An Evening With Dylan Thomas – Readings by Dave Andrews
Dave Andrews reads a number of Dylan Thomas’s best known poems and also his ever-popular nostalgic and humourous prose work ‘A Child’s Christmas in Wales’.
- Tuesday 11th December at Community Cinema, Oswestry
Hannah Ellis – September 2018.
Hannah is a teacher, writer and consultant. You can learn more about her by visiting the website – www.lovethewords.co.uk